Seniors who want to age gracefully in their own homes may find that simple home modifications will improve their quality of life, reduce opportunities for accidents and extend the period of time they can spend living independently. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, nearly half of all injuries among seniors occur in the home. Our FIXIT! handymen can handle those small jobs and help you to continue to live at home, safely and confidently.
The Ontario government has proposed a new “Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit” for seniors. A refundable tax credit of up to $1,500 may be available for expenses if they improve accessibility or help a senior be more functional or mobile at home. >visit link<
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) operates a program with up to $3,500 available to help cover the costs associated with making minor home adaptations in order to extend the time seniors are able to live independently in their homes. >visit link<
Minor home adaptations that may qualify include*:
- Grab bars around the toilet, bathtub, and shower
- Handrails in corridors
- Lowering existing counters/cupboards
- Installing adjustable counters/cupboards
- Lever handles on doors and taps instead of knobs
- Pull-out shelves under counters
- Nonslip bathroom flooring
- A hand-held shower on adjustable rod
- Swing-clear hinges on doors to widen doorways
- Motion-activated lighting
- Touch-and-release drawers and cupboards
- Drawers that pull out fully
* Rules for eligibility will be set out in legislation. This list is not complete.
Reliable repair, improvement, and maintenance services. No job is too small.
We are licensed, bonded, and insured. Every FIXIT! handyman is punctual, reliable, and has undergone a complete background check for your peace of mind.